• AndyJ
    AndyJ

Punter Planet opposes extension of VIC state of emergency

Please sign this petition. It only takes a second (the first one at the top of the page is enough).

https://www.reignitedemocracyaustralia.com.au/

118191094_130938705375669_4304637741685917521_n.png

Victoria has been subjected to the longest and most draconian lockdown in the country, your freedom has been restricted, yet the results have been the worst so far. (I'm not only talking about cases of Covid-19, but about all other consequences that we're seeing and we are yet see with more clarity in years to come).

We don't need to go into details of public knowledge about the errors committed by both the Federal and State governments, but one thing is clear, governments need to be scrutinised. That's how things are meant to work in a liberal democracy.

At present, the Victorian government has had unprecedented powers for the last six months, and wants to extend them for another 12 months. The obvious mistakes made by them show that we cannot give them another blank cheque to do whatever they want with your life for another whole year.

Whatever you think of their handling of the pandemic, a cease of the state of emergency won't render any government powerless to deal with any outbreaks nor will stop them from implementing any reasonable measures deemed necessary. On the contrary it will make parliament resume its normal functioning. That way, the government's plans (whatever they may be) will be properly scrutinised by our legitimate representatives.

Please spend just a second of your time and help stop this unnecessary and authoritarian plan of extending the state of emergency in Victoria. Please sign this petition. Provide your (VIC) postcode and it will be forwarded to your local MP.

Thanks,

AndyJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Would like to... but obviously aimed at Victorians

• Thanks 1

Thanks AndyJ.  I signed the petition and put in my NSW postcode and it was fine.

I think people all over Australia are very concerned about everything that's happening in Victoria and especially this latest push to extend the emergency powers.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bigkev01 said:

Thanks AndyJ.  I signed the petition and put in my NSW postcode and it was fine.

I think people all over Australia are very concerned about everything that's happening in Victoria and especially this latest push to extend the emergency powers.

Thank you. I think it's good to express concern from other States. Surely it won't be forwarded to your local MP for a matter of jurisdiction, but the general intent gets through nonetheless.

While it’s aimed at Vics I still signed as I think it’s a dangerous proposal.

• Thanks 1

A slightly more effective method of protest would be to email your local member's office to express your opposition. Though Labor has a large majority in the Legislative Assembly, so it would be better to write to your region's members of the Legislative Council, particularly the crossbenchers.

I don't think anybody really cares about petitions, to be honest.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pseudonymous said:

A slightly more effective method of protest would be to email your local member's office to express your opposition. Though Labor has a large majority in the Legislative Assembly, so it would be better to write to your region's members of the Legislative Council, particularly the crossbenchers.

That's a good option too, but it takes a bit more time. But I think it's worth contacting Labor MPs too. I'm sure that not every Labor member sees this the same way.

4 minutes ago, Pseudonymous said:

I don't think anybody really cares about petitions, to be honest.

It's not quite a petition that you read on Facebook or elsewhere. The results are collated and sent to your local MP (so, it's like one letter signed by many people). This morning the organisers were quite happy with the response. I think they got like 15,000 overnight, so if you see a letter signed by 300 people for example (as the total will be split of course), it's still quite impressive, and they are also calling them.

No reason why you can't have a petition AND lobby representatives too.

The Andrews Gov has backed down from 12 to 6 months.

Still to long, and doctors are calling for a Royal Commission and have

described the Andrews gov handling of the pandemic as a slow car crash.

He sure has made a mess of it.

• Message For Guests

Welcome to Punter Planet's Community! To see most of our boards' content (a lot more than the small amount of topics you can see right now), you'll need to log in or create a free account. After registration, remember to validate your account via email (so please use a valid address and make sure the message we'll send you does not go to your spam folder).