While at work I frequently get bored and for some reason this topic kept popping into my mind, can’t really remember what prompted it, it may have been while thinking about how Brian Hugh Warner was once ordained a reverend in the church, as well as King Diamond's connection, so I decided to do a little further research.
Now, the point of this blog, is simply that I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s knows of or has had experience with people who identify themselves as LaVeyan Satanists. I have a friend who identifies himself as Thiestic Satanist, but I'm more interested in the LaVeyan side of things. I've been going through a religious reimagining and rethinking myself the last year and a half or so, and have been examining by own pre-existing beliefs and questioning things. From concepts of evil emerging from perfection to alternate realities that can be visited through experimentation, or for some people, through natural ability, but that's an unrelated side topic.
I must say, that as far as all the religions go, of all of the religious practices and all that jazz that I’ve seen and heard, the principles put forth in LaVeyan Satanism makes the most sense to me, and I find the whole concept fascinating.
Now, unlike Thiestic Satanism, LaVeyan does not involve the worship of Satan as an actual diety, but rather as a symbol of earthly carnalities and of man’s inherent nature. It purports worship of the self.
It essentially puts forth a guide of principles which should be followed, which strikes similarity to Old Testament ways of ‘an eye for an eye’ style of things.
I plan to get a hold of The Satantic Bible, and some works of Aleister Crowley and Ayn Rand, on which parts of LeVeyan is based on, to try and get some further insight.
I’ve found the Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth to be fascinating:
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advance unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will loose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm young children, for they are the future.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.
I’d be fascinating to go to a LeVeyan church and get more info. These kind of interesting sub-cultures fascinate me. I swear I’ve been watching too much Louis Theroux at times.